Unfortunately we’ve had a small setback with Hey Day Baby, nothing serious but enough to delay her first run, as it rules out a race at Warwick on 24th February that we had been looking at. It’s a shame as we were nearly there with her, but these things happen.
We worked her as normal earlier this week, but she just finished her gallop rather weakly, and so as it’s that time of year when coughs and colds do the rounds with horses – as they do with us humans – we got her checked out. The results showed she’s picked up a viral infection, as I say it’s nothing major, the vet’s put her on a course of antibiotics, which will clear it up quickly enough.
She’ll have an easy week in that she won’t be out cantering, but we can keep her ticking over on the horse-walker, so we won’t lose all the time we’ve had getting her fitness levels up. Once she’s clear of the infection we’ll step her work up again, so hopefully that debut run won’t be too far off, whether Newbury in early March comes too soon, we’ll have to wait and see.
Jonjo O'Neill, Coral Racing Club Trainer
Did you miss Hey Day Baby's recent video out on the gallops? Click here to watch